Saturday, September 30, 2006

There Are 2 Ways To Do Most Things

If you talk to a real strong man like Dennis Rogers, he'll tell you that there is only one legitimate way to rip phonebooks. That is to push with one hand and pull with the other (top to bottom). In short, flat out rip it!

There is another way that most people use to perform this feat of strength. It involves a "technique". You need to bend and pinch the book with your knuckles (see left). With all due respect to Dennis Rogers, although not as much of a true feat of strength, this method requires a significant amount of grip strength. It is a legitimate challenge for us newbies. This technique is how I learned to rip phonebooks. This method got me hooked. I also built more grip strength practicing the illegitimate method. During this time I've gained knowledge and experience, albeit minimal, in the the strongman game.

I watched Dennis Rogers' video A Grip That Rips - Legitimate Phonebook Tearing. I've been trying his method out. It's a challenge in every sense of the word. But if he can do it, so can I...eventually. My thinking on this: To test myself and my strength I need to rely on my strength not technique.

A month ago, I tried my current best torn with the non legitimate technique (1 & 3/4 inches). I tried 1/2 inch. Both produced the exact same results...an intact completely functioning phonebook. This morning after my "workout lay-off " I grabbed a 3/4 inch phonebook, because I now have them laying around. Thought thru the proper technique. Grabbed the book, got my head straight and bam! ripped it legitimately. It was more like baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam! I won't say I've mastered this size of phonebook but I did it.

THE POINT:
In what ever you do...Sometimes the "easy way" is the only way you know. Go with it. At least you're doing something. But be willing to learn and use the proper way so you can understand yourself and your true abilities.

-Strength and Honor-
Benny


Check Out:
Dennise Rogers - Grand Master Strong Man
Clay Edgin - An Upcommer in the Strongman world

No comments: